A Mentor’s Tribute: Farewell Speech for Teacher
In the different stages of our education, we regarded the role of a teacher as among the most important and in various ways: we consider them as parent in grade school, life coach in our teens, and professional advisor in college. Saying goodbye to a teacher can be emotional. A simple party with a nice program will suffice to prepare us and our teacher to the inevitable parting, and of course, a good farewell sendoff speech. Farewell speech for teacher is best done by using the following steps:
1. Capture the teacher’s best character as a mentor. Farewell speech for teacher is best introduced by recalling stories emphasizing the teacher’s influence to their students. Think of a creative theme which will make the speech engaging. It can be one striking story the teacher once told; favorite cartoon character, favorite movie character, or fiction character that the teacher is fond of.
2. Highlight the teacher’s positive and inspiring values, but do not overdo it; avoid sounding like you’re forcing the tribute. Do not forget to include the simple idiosyncrasies that the teacher has; farewell speech for teacher is more balanced and realistic if you add the funny or the eccentric side of the teacher.
3. Provide humor, but use a dignified one. Farewell speeches should not be boring and less engaging. Teachers are also human, and they enjoy laughter as much as everyone else. The best humor is about them; so use some funny stories or anecdotes made up of teacher’s funny stuff, but avoid ridicule.
4. Mention important legacies that the teacher has left to their students. Farewell speech for teacher who is soon to retire must contain tribute to contributions made by the teacher to the school and most especially to the students.
5. Give a short background on the teacher’s new undertaking, and wish her/him well. End the speech with some inspiring quotes or proverbs which will best describe the teacher’s life journey. A poignant farewell speech for teacher keep the audience nailed to their seats expecting more information about the future whereabouts of the teacher.
Lastly, in delivering farewell speech for teacher, encourage the audience to acknowledge the subject of your speech by calling for a toast. The teacher deserves a cheer and a standing ovation.